analytics

Friday, February 5, 2010

An alternative to oatmeal: breakfast-style polenta


This morning I put the water on to boil to make our morning oatmeal.  As the water boiled, I opened the pantry cabinet to find we were nearly out of oatmeal.  Quick, what could I make that will be warm and filling like oatmeal, but something that the munchkins and I will like?  Quinoa? No.  Bulgur? No.  Brown Rice?  No.  Polenta?  Hmm, could I take it away from the usual savory dinner-style? 
I try to keep mascapone cheese in stock, it's the Italian equivilant to cream cheese but slightly sweeter.  I took all the components that we love in our oatmeal and applied it to the polenta.  A little mascapone, a touch of agave, a dash of brown sugar and frozen blueberries. 
I took a taste before calling the kids to the table, making sure that they would eat it.  Delish.  Ethan walked into the kitchen, looked into the pot and asked, "What's that?"  I said, "Breakfast grits." He then asked, "What's in it?"  I replied, "brown sugar (his favorite thing in oatmeal that I knew would be the selling point), blueberries, and a little agave. "  He carried his bowl to the table, sat down, tasted it and said, "Mama, this looks a little like corn meal."  I asked him what he thought.  You see, I've had to rename polenta.  About a year ago, he decided one evening he no longer liked polenta.  The next time I prepared it, I called it cornmeal.  He liked it.  He said, "It's good!"  
Claire liked it so much, she had seconds. 

Breakfast-style Polenta
Serves 4
Ingredients:
4 cups water
1 cup quick cooking polenta or cornmeal
1/3 cup mascapone cheese
1 tablespoon agave syrup or honey
1 teaspoon brown sugar
Fresh or Frozen Berries of your choice to taste

Bring water to boil, whisk in polenta, reduce heat to simmer.  Stir occassionally.  Polenta will thicken over 5 minute cooking time.  Stir in mascapone cheese, agave syrup, and brown sugar.  Serve berries on top.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

limonmerengue said...

Sounds delicious and simple to make. This is my kind of meal.