analytics

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Breakfast for dinner


Lately, our favorite go to meal at dinnertime is breakfast. It's quick to fix when my husband is not going to be home for dinner or on those nights when I don't feel like making a full-fledged meal. When I first introduced it, my ever-skeptical son, Ethan, said, "breakfast for dinner?!?" As a child, my mom made waffles for breakfast and I was never a big fan so until recently, I never made it. 
Our favorite is dutch baby pancakes in the evening.  A quick whirl of the blender, pour the batter into the dish, put into oven, bake and voila! They are ready to eat. 
Now dutch babies are my absolute all-time favorite.  Maybe it's because I've been eating them for so long.  My parents used to eat at the Original Pancake House in SW Portland, where the Dutch Baby is their specialty.  After you place your order, butter, lemons, and powder sugar wait at your table until the puffed up pancake arrives.  At nine months, the story goes, I began fussing at the table, finally not knowing what else to do, my mom gave me a lemon to suck on.  I happily sucked on that lemon for the rest of the meal.  Now a parent, we've taken both kids to enjoy the deliciousness. 

Dutch Baby Pancakes
Ingredients:
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 2/3 cups milk (any type)
1 pinch of salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 lemon
powder sugar

Preheat oven 400 degrees.  Place all ingredients except butter into a blender, blend for 30 seconds.  Meanwhile, place 1 tablespoon butter into cast-iron skillet or glass baking dish.  Put dish into oven to melt butter.  Once melted, open oven and pour batter into baking dish.  If you use the Demarle large round mold, no butter is needed.  Pour batter directly into mold and place into oven.  Close oven and don't reopen for 20-23 minutes.  You may check doneness by turning oven light on.  It's done when edges are puffed up and light brown.  Immediately put the rest of the butter in the middle of dutch baby, squeeze lemon and sprinkle powder sugar to your liking.    

No comments: